Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day Baking = Sour Cream Pound Cake

Hello Sunshine!!!

Well I truly believe summer is upon us as we begin to experience 95+ degree days in VA!  And well of course we thank those who serve, have served and protect our country, Memorial Day also kicks off Cook Out Season!  With that being said I attended two cookouts last Sunday and as always I supply the sweet stuff...LOL!  Wanting to do something new and not too time consuming I sent a text to my friend Sundae and asked for her Pound Cake recipe!  I do a 7-Up pound cake myself but wanted something a little closer to what my Great Grandmother would have made!  Sundae wanted to do a recipe barter and exchange so I dropped her a hint and she guided me to a Pecan Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe! Lets just say I took that baby made it my own and came up with a pound cake that my Great-Great Grandmother would be proud of!!  While I must say that my friends cake was good but mine was in Pattie's words "Over The Rainbow"!  I love you Sundae and thanks for the inspiration!

And No All That Crust Did Not Go To Waste!!!


Sour Cream Pound Cake
  • 3 cups cake flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease (I use Pam with flour) and coat greased pan with Sugar instead of flour  (10 inch Bundt or tube pan). Set aside. Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda into a medium bowl; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and white sugar until light and fluffy ( at least 10 minutes in a Stand Mixer on Cream setting your whole cake depends on how well the butter and sugar is mixed). Beat in eggs one at a time (letting the mixer run about 1 minute in between each egg addition), then stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream. Pour batter in prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
  4. To prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, orange juice or 2 tsps. of Orange Extract and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Poke holes in cake with wooden kabob skewer and Drizzle glaze over cake while still warm. I also used a silicone pastry brush to brush the glaze over the entire cake using the full amount of glaze.  Allow Cake to Cool Completely and serve with a dollop of Vanilla Whipped Topping..recipe to follow!
Vanilla Whipped Topping

  • 1 (3.4 oz) pkg vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping 
Prepare pudding mix according to package directions using 1 cup of milk. Fold whipped topping into pudding mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use!

Happy Summer!

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Charisse 

No comments:

Post a Comment