Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Apple Picking Equals Finger Licking!

So this past Sunday my family along with my daughter's Daisy Scout troop made our annual trip to Carter's Mountain Orchard in Charlottesville, VA for some good ole apple picking, apple cider slushies, and apple cider doughnuts!  I love Fuji Apples best but I'll tell you, that hike up the mountain this year, I was not prepared for (spoiled by the usual relaxing shuttle ride up the mountain).  But the views from the top are breath taking and make great photo ops!  I dragged my family up the mountain and for the Sweet and Delicious Fuji apples while the rest of the group opted to go down the mountain for Winesaps (ugh) and Pink Lady Apples!  I managed to Pick 23 pounds of apples with the help of my tree climbing mother (you had to be there) and my babies that I had to teach that apples from the ground with holes in them are not what we want to take home...LOL! 
So what does one do with 23 pounds of apples you ask well of course you Bake, Bake, and Create!  We shared some with the kids classes and well the rest will be turned into delicious confections..Yummy!!!  I was intent on making a apple cookie and while most only called for apple cider I had to come up with my own recipe to incorporate some ingredients I had on hand like Apples and Cinnamon Chips!  In the words of my co-worker "It was one of the best darn cookies she ever ate"......


Here You Go!!!


Charisse's Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (1 stick) Butter Flavored Crisco
  • 1 cup packed Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1-1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 2-1/2 cups Quick Cooking Oats
  • 1 (10oz) package Hershey's Cinnamon Chips
  • 4 Fuji Apples chopped (or I am sure any sweet apple of your choice would be fine)
Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Beat Crisco, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a bowl until creamy.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.  Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture, beating well.  Stir in oats, cinnamon chips, and apples.
  3. Drop by teaspoon fulls onto ungreased cookie sheet (I used my Pampered Chef small scoop).  Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool 1 minute, remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.  
You should get about 4 dozen cookies. 

Always Remember to EAT DESSERT FIRST!!!

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Charisse C. Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment