Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

A 12 Days of Cupcakes Project #3

I know you have been waiting for cupcake #3!!  The first dessert I ever made from scratch without the assistance of my mom were Snickerdoodles =)  I was so proud of myself and they tasted great too or that is the memory that I would like to have...LOL!  My cousin and I were chatting the other night about the upcoming annual cookie swap that we attend during the holidays and she kept mentioning Snickerdoodles...of course the wheels started churning and I went in search of a Snickerdoodle cupcake or even a muffin recipe...to my surprise Martha Stewart and Bakerella became my inspiration with a Snickerdoodle Cupcake that embodies both a cupcake and the cookie =)  a DUO DESSERT!



SNICKERDOODLE CUPCAKES
Yields about 15 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line regular and miniature cupcake trays with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium for about 2 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time and mix until combined.
Add vanilla and mix until combined.
Add flour mixture to creamed butter and sugar in three additions. Alternate with milk in two additions.
Fill baking cups about 3/4 full.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Remove cupcakes from trays and let cool.
    Snickerdoodle Cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place about 3 inches apart.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a mixer, cream butter, shortening, and sugar on medium for about 2 minutes.
Add egg and mix until combined.
Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.
Use a small 1 1/4 inch ice-cream scoop to form balls. Release in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and roll until covered. When coated, you can shape them in a nice round ball and place on the baking sheet. (reserve any leftover cinnamon sugar to top the cupcakes)
Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies begin to crack. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
    I whipped up my favorite vanilla buttercream recipe to decorate these babies.  They were very yummy and a big hit with  the teachers at my kids school!  I will be making these again in the near future!


Enjoy and remember to EAT DESSERT FIRST!

recipe adapted from http://www.bakerella.com/snickerdoodle-duo/

No comments:

Post a Comment